Castro Valley is named after Don Guillermo Castro, who was a soldier in the Mexican army and a rancher.
Castro Valley was originally a part of a 28,000-acre land grant given to Castro in 1840, called Rancho San Lorenzo. This land grant included Hayward, San Lorenzo, and Castro Valley, including Crow Canyon, Cull Canyon, and Palomares Canyons.
Castro Valley is also one of the sites where Joseph Eichler built some of the 10,000 or so homes in the Bay Area. Castro Valley has a one-screen movie theater, the Chabot Cinema. The Castro Village complex on Castro Valley Boulevard is widely considered the commercial center of town.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.